Tuesday, July 17, 2012

Cyrus Chestnut @ Jazz Standard 6/28/12

I needed to be home at 9 for a call. I went to the gym on E. 34th St, thinking about whether I should go this, try to get to 55 Bar for House of Waters, or just go home.  I was thinking I should just go home due to the 9pm thing.  I get to 26th St, and I find my legs were turning me around and taking me to Jazz Standard - I needed my fix!

It was a good show.  They played as a Trio for the first 1/2 hour and then James Carter came out with his tenor and soprano saxes for the remainder.  I enjoyed all of it and made it home just in time!

Cyrus Chestnut – piano
Dezron Douglas – bass
Neal Smith – drums
With Special Guest
James Carter – saxophones

The gospel–rooted, blues–tinged playing of pianist Cyrus Chestnut has delighted Jazz Standard audiences for years. We’re pleased to welcome him back for this gala “JS10” appearance, especially in the company of the celebrated saxophonist James Carter (“always dazzling, always melodic,” wrote John L. Walters in The Guardian). Cyrus began his musical training at age five and made his first public performance at age seven at his father’s Mount Calvary Baptist Church in Maryland; between 1994 and 2001, he released seven CDs for the Atlantic label. CC’s latest trio recording, Journeys (Jazz Legacy, 2010) showed that he “remains a distinctive original pianist whose work has continued to grow.” (Ken Dryden, AllMusic.com) “One hears in his smart stylings not only the gospel sounds at the root of his very being, but classic – some say nostalgic – jazz adorned with utterly uninhibited improvisations, flashes of pop and bop, whimsy and wit.” (Dan Rodricks, The Baltimore Sun)

No comments: