Sunday, January 3, 2010

Marco Benevento Trio @ Sullivan Hall 1/2/09

This was awesome! Marco Benevento, Billy Martin, and Dave Dreiwitz. What a trio! I stayed up front for this one. I occasionally noticed murmur of talkers behind me, but up front everyone was very much into it.

Billy had a kit, a steel drum, and a big metal thing that acted like a drum. If there wasn't such a thing as a kettle drum, I'd be tempted to say it was a metal thing that looked like a big kettle, or turned over pot or something. Whatever it was, I liked the sound. There was one point where he was playing the kit with a maraca in his hand. His right hand had a drumstick and was mainly hitting drums, but sometimes cymbals. His left hand had a drumstick and a maraca and he was hitting the cymbal with the stick. It sounded awesome!

I have to admit, I'm getting somewhat tired of "The Real Morning Party". It will never be the same now that I've seen Skerik play sax on it. The first time they played it, they stretched it out and everyone did amazing solos. Amazing! I couldn't believe it when toward the end of the 1 hour set, Marco started it up again. It sounded good, I'm just sick of it. However, if he brought out this trio and billed the show as playing that song over and over, I'd go, and probably still love it. It's a good song, I just hear it too much anymore.

Anyway, that was quite an amazing set. I stuck it out for the 1st 5 minutes of The Slip, but bailed quickly. I think I would like them more if they had no vocals. That just ruins it for me.

Sullivan Hall 2nd Year Anniversary Party
featuring The Slip /
Marco Benevento Trio
feat. Billy Martin & Dave Dreiwitz (Ween)
w/ special guest opener
Stephane Wremble
plus special guests

No comments: