Sunday, January 3, 2010

Government Mule @ The Beacon 12/31/09

Ohh yeah! I got there about 5 minutes before the 2nd set. I was on the floor in Row S center. See the killer setlist below.

I would say that 2nd set started at around 10:45 - 10:50. Started with just Warren and a percussionist, Marc QuiƱones, from the Allman Brothers. I was so psyched to have additional percussion, I really looove percussion. I already heard it was going to be a Woodstock night, so I wasn't surprised. I expected them to have a female singer that could do Janice and Jefferson Airplane. I wasn't expecting anything quite so awesome as Dana Fuchs. I've seen her in the Blues listings a lot, but I had no idea she was that great. She had the personality and the voice to really pull it off. She was awesome. She was the star in Love, Janice. (I'm ashamed to say I lived a few blocks from the show at what is now Le Poisson Rouge and I never saw it. I wanted to, it was just a different era for me.)

Warren knows how to select songs! Warren can play guitar! Hearing him playing Santana was amazing. He can play anyone, sing anyone, he is simply The Man! I loved how they did "Dance to the Music" soon after the countdown.

At "Everybody Must Get Stoned", I couldn't control myself and headed down the aisle. Security was coming down and clearing it out, but those of us on the left side of the aisle were able to stay, I think they didn't realize there were no seats there, we just added one to the row. I was down there in the 5th row for the remainder of that 2nd set. At the end of that set, Warren announced they were going to continue with Woodstock instead of their tradition of going back to Mule for the 3rd set. Yeah!

The 3rd set was just as awesome, perhaps somehow even better by a degree. This show was pure heaven. It ended at around 2:30. I had such a good time! I was so happy, and tired and I really didn't need anymore. I figured Rebirth at Sullivan Hall would be too crowded to enjoy. It turns out it was a good move. I heard later that Rebirth ended at 3:15, which seemed wrong.

I must also mention how much I like this bass player. He was great. Danny Lewis also played a lot of guitar and he was good. It highlighted how much of the music back then was guitar-focused. I used to have a dream I could go back in time and live in that era, and especially go to Woodstock. I have to say, in my older wisdom of today that dream doesn't exist. We have better sound, we have all the digitally-remastered recordings, and we have such great artists today. I'm pretty happy to have it as it is today. I can't believe how much great music I get to see all the time. I would love to time travel to some shows back then, but I love how today's musicians have built on the past.

They made me nostalgic for The Greatful Dead shows I used to see in college. I haven't been nostalgic for those in ages. I never saw Dark Star live, but I had some good memories of all those shows at the Philadelphia Spectrum and the occasional roadtrip to Hartford or Pittsburgh. That was a good time!

I was shocked those were the same horns from 2 years ago. OK, at first I was disappointed, I couldn't believe Warren would hire them again. I thought they added nothing last time. I was pleasantly surprised that they were better this time. The sax was OK, but the trombone and trumpet definitely had their moments. There were some good parts with them. I realize I'm spoiled by all the stellar horn players I get to see so often.

I'm looking forward to hearing this show again! What a night!

Set 1
Bad Little Doggie
Inside Outside Woman Blues
Larger Than Life >
Frozen Fear
Forevermore
Painted Silver Light
No Need To Suffer
Mule > with Highway Star Tease
Whole Lotta Love >
Mule

Set 2
Freedom*$ (Warren & Marc)
Coming Into Los Angeles*$ (Without Matt)
Good Morning Little Schoolgirl
Going Home*
Ball & Chain*@#
Piece Of My Heart*@#
Savior*$ >
Jingo*$
Soul Sacrifice*$
Delta Lady*$@#
Let's Go Get Stoned*$@#
With A Little Help From My Friends*$@# >
New Years Countdown >
With A Little Help From My Friends*$@#
Dance To The Music*$@# >
Music Lover*$@#
I Want To Take You Higher*$@#

Set 3
Fish Cheer* (Matt Solo Acoustic)
Dark Star*$ >
Somebody To Love*$@
I Put A Spell On You*
Don't Do It*&#
Mean Mistreater*
Helplessly Hoping* (Warren acoustic with Marc, Danny, Dana & Pam)
"Don't Eat The Brown Acid"
Helplessly Hoping Reprise*
I'm Free* >
Listening To You

Encore
Star Spangled Banner* >
Purple Haze*

* First Time Played
# Buford Osullivan - Trombone, Pam Fleming - Trumpet, Jenny Hill - Sax
@ Dana Fuchs - Vocals
$ Marc Quinonnes - Percussion

No comments: