Monday, March 29, 2010

Charlie Hunter @ Jazz Standard 3/28/10

This last set of the run was a great way to resurface! I love what Charlie's been doing in recent years! I love what he did before, but I love this direction even more.

This quintet included Eric Kalb on drums, 2 great trombones, and Mike Williams on bass trumpet. Clever, right? I doubt I saw a bass trumpet before. I really like it - especially with 2 trombones! Lots of nice, funky, low tones.

If I needed 2 trombones in NYC, I'd get Curtis Fowlkes and Alan Ferber, no contest. They were both their usual greatness.

I found myself getting caught by Eric a lot during the set. He was great! He was turned towards the other musicians, and I was sitting sort of behind, sort of next to him. I could see his every move and it was captivating. Actually, I could see everyone's every move, but got stuck on Eric just a little more that set. Every move I experienced from the rest of them was phenomenal, though.

It was absolutely awesome!

Here's the listing. I must comment, that Mike Williams on the BASS trumpet was incredible and completely on par with the rest of them, even though his name isn't in the "featuring" part.

CHARLIE HUNTER featuring ALAN FERBER, CURTIS FOWLKES & ERIC KALB


Charlie Hunter - 7-string guitar

Alan Ferber - trombone

Curtis Fowlkes - trombone

Eric Kalb - drums
Mike Williams - trumpet

It's not only the Album Title of the Year but one of the most inventive and high-spirited instrumental sets of 2010. Jazz Standard and the singular seven-string guitarist Charlie Hunter celebrate the release of his new CD Gentlemen, I Neglected To Inform You You Will Not Be Getting Paid with two nights of galvanizing music by the Charlie Hunter Trio. The CD features Eric Kalb (Sharon Jones and the Dap Kings, John Scofield) on drums, Curtis Fowlkes (Jazz Passengers, Lounge Lizards, Bill Frisell), Alan Ferber (Don Byron, Kenny Wheeler) on trombone, and Eric Biondo (Antibalas, TV On The Radio) on trumpet. "A huge part of what I do is rooted in old blues and soul," Charlie told Jim Fusilli of the Wall Street Journal in a recent interview. "My playing is not a 'licky' thing. It's not a 15-minute uninterrupted string of eighth notes over something that's unnecessarily very complex. It's feeling the time. It's saying something. Everything has to work together rhythmically."

No comments: