Monday, September 7, 2009

Frisell, Lavano, Motion @ Village Vanguard 9/5/09

It was awesome. I got in without a res for the 1st set, but I had to sit in that table all the way in the back by the wall. I used to like that spot because I can move the table over a little and dance. I liked it until I discovered how nice it is to sit closer. I also hate how bright the light is back there. Still, all was forgotten once the music started.

It seemed improvised and somewhat free, but not too out there. I think Bill Frisell is awesome. His style is something like "psychedelic experimental" and its different from everyone else. The thing I don't understand is why is he so popular and so many others are not. When I talk to people who listen to the radio or buy CDs, but don't get out to hear live music too often, they usually know Bill from recordings. They usually don't know who I'm talking about if they aren't known in the mainstream. I'm perplexed.

The music was awesome. Most of it was pretty mellow, but never boring in the least. I was really engaged. I did get up and dance for a portion, but was seated, hanging on every note, for most of it.

I'm so glad I made it!

No comments: