Tuesday, November 4, 2008

Jenny Scheinman @ Village Vanguard 11/2/08

I couldn’t bear to not go to this. I mean, I would want to see any of these artists in anything they do, together has got to be phenomenal. I feel like if I haven’t seen these 4 together before, I’ve seen something(s) close.

I took my last chance, Sun late set. It was close to the dance theatre, and I was so wound up I knew I couldn’t miss it. There was that same guy sitting in my favorite front row center seat that I’ve seen at every Bill Frisell show at the Vanguard. I overheard him telling his neighbors about how the 1st set is usually scripted, but the 2nd set they branch out a little into what they feel like, with some always plays. I got the impression he’d been there for every single set. I’m pretty sure people were allowed to stay for a smaller cover or a minimum. They do it differently at different times. I’d love to do that, but I can’t always work in both sets. I think it happened a lot with Cecil Taylor, and he’s there again this week. If I make it, I should try for the 2.

Anyway, I ended up getting a great seat right up front center, in the “2nd row”. There was no one in front of me, so I had a great view. It was phenomenal, as was expected. They started off with some great new tune. It was very catchy, and very well-done. I also remember they did a Duke Ellington tune, “Awful Sad”, that was great. They were promoting a new cd, so they played a lot of stuff off of that. It went over an hour, maybe 75 minutes. I had heard that guy say they did a 75 minute set on Thurs because they were into it.

I’m so glad I did it and I wasn’t too tired yesterday. I do love going to the last set of the run.


Jenny Scheinman - violin
Jason Moran - piano
Greg Cohen - bass
Rudy Royston - drums

No comments: