Tuesday, October 28, 2008

Peter Apfelbaum & the NY Hieroglyphics @ LPR 10/26/08

Back to Le Poisson Rouge, my current favorite venue seeing one of my favorite bands. They are really awesome every single time. There was Dave Phelps on guitar, Josh Roseman on trombone, a great trumpet, 2 tenors with the last name Jones, Dafnis Prieto on drums, an electric bass, and Peter on tenor and piano. They did a lot of instrumentals for the 1st 40 minutes or so and then brought out the African singer, Abdoulaye Diabate for the rest of the set, which was a little over an hour. It was awesome and very grooving for me. I got my favorite spot with the high table in the back where I can get up and dance.

I love the atmosphere and I love how dark they keep it. It’s got a wonderful vibe. I tried the food, which was OK. It wasn’t bad, but it wasn’t great, either. I expected it to be super great, given how great everything else is there.

They were off to Seattle for another gig. Hopefully we won’t have to wait too long for the next show.

No comments: