Saturday, July 10, 2010

Steve Kuhn, Joey Baron, David Finck @ Gesù, Centre de créativité, Montreal 7/4/10

One of the compelling reasons to go to Montreal this year was to indulge in seeing Joey Baron in a non-Zorn setting. It was more out of curiosity and that I love his playing. The Gesù is such a wonderful space. I saw Robert Glasper there when I went to Montreal 3 years ago. It's got exposed stone walls and every seat is great and it feels nice to be there.

I think the show was about 1.5 hours. It was excellent. It's straight ahead jazz, but they still bring something new to it. I never knew about David Finck. He kept impressing me on the bass. He did a lot of interesting things in a straight ahead setting.

I sat pretty close to Joey and it was a huge pleasure. He's so awesome. I also enjoyed Steve Kuhn a lot, especially when he played the high notes.

The listing:
Pianist Steve Kuhn numbers among those rare musicians to have performed as a band member with both Stan Getz AND John Coltrane. Following an incandescent live performance in 2008, Kuhn and his trio, Joey Baron (percussion) and David Finck (bass), conceived and recorded Mostly Coltrane, a wonderful tribute to the saxophone master, featuring ‘Trane classics as well as a few standards and solo pieces. Since then, the group has continued to amaze live audiences all over the world-and now it's our turn!

No comments: